This blog previously reported that Afghan immigrant Najibullah Zazi plead guilty to charges connected to a New York subway bombing plot. The Associated Press now reports that 2 more Afghans have been indicted in the New York City bomb plot:
Two high school classmates of admitted terrorist plotter Najibullah Zazi were indicted Thursday in a foiled scheme to bomb New York City subways that a prosecutor said was directed by “al-Qaida leadership.”
Zarein Ahmedzay and Adis Medunjanin, both 25, pleaded not guilty in federal court in Brooklyn to charges of conspiracy to use weapons of mass destruction, conspiracy to commit murder in a foreign country and providing material support to the al-Qaida terrorist network.
The three men were planning an attack on city subway lines last September under the direction of leaders of the al-Qaida terrorist network that would have been similar to the 2005 London subway bombings that killed more than 50 people, Assistant U.S. Attorney Jeff Knox said.
“The facts alleged in this indictment shed further light on the scope of this attempted attack…,” Attorney General Eric Holder said in a statement. “This attack would have been deadly”…
Medunjanin and Ahmedzay — who authorities say traveled to Pakistan with Zazi in 2008… faced charges in the alleged plot.
Medunjanin has pleaded not guilty to charges he conspired to kill U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan. His lawyer, Robert C. Gottlieb, said this week he didn’t know whether Zazi told prosecutors anything about his client but Zazi’s decision to plead guilty “obviously affects the overall prosecution.”
Ahmedzay has pleaded not guilty to charges that he lied to the FBI during the probe about places he visited during the 2008 trip.
Zazi’s uncle, father and a Queens imam face lesser charges in the case.